Why does my beeswax candle have a layer of “mold”?
Has it ever happened that you buy a beeswax candle and a few days, weeks, or even months you start to see a dusty film on the surface? Why does your beeswax candle have a layer of “mold”? It almost looks like mold. Well, let me tell you it’s not mold. This is called “Bloom” and it happens to 100% pure beeswax candles or beeswax. There is nothing wrong with your beeswax candle. It’s a natural oxidation process and it will only occur with 100% natural beeswax. So if your beeswax candle has started to Bloom it’s actually a good thing.
How do you remove the “bloom” from your beeswax candles?
If you like your beeswax candles shiny like when you got them you simply have to wipe the surface a few times with a soft cloth or nylon and your candle will be as good new. This will temporarily make your candle shinny again for a few days or a few weeks but the bloom will come back.
It’s important to note that if you have a beeswax candle that does not present any bloom the only reason is that it is not 100% natural beeswax. It may have a blend with soy or paraffin but definitely, it’s not 100% natural beeswax.
The “before and after” image from this blog shows a portion of the bloomed beeswax surface wiped with a soft cloth, it’s preferable to use a lint-free cloth. The “after” section clearly shows the shinny surface once again. Some people actually slightly warm up the surface with a blow-dryer. You have to be careful with the heat as some blow dryers can be very hot and can cause parts to melt if you overdo it. This method works as well but just be very careful.
Some people may even prefer their beeswax candles with this new opaque and almost textured surface. If you are not ones of those just use any of these methods and your candles will look brand new again.